Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Did some window shopping today....

And these are what I want to buy in the next few weeks....


A headlight bucket because I think I want to go naked on the Bandit. The front fairing on the Bandits are kind of ugly....




Bar end mirrors, because the stock mirrors are pretty good at giving me an unobstructed view of my shoulders. Plus, if I go naked, they look cool.



I saw these cameras on some blog and for $10 bucks, they are cool. And for ten bucks, you can feel ok with sticking the camera anywhere, and if you lose it, no huge deal.



A Bandit key ring. 'Cause I want one.

And last but not least:



A new set of tires. Actually, I bought a set today.  I was going to get a set of Continental Motion tires, for around $150 a set. However, they didn't have the front tire in my size in stock. So I did some investigating. A friend of mine suggested some Shinko dual sport tires. The price was right and the tires got good reviews. Unfortunately, they didn't have them in my size.

They did have Shinko 740 series a really good price and they had both front and rear in my size. So, I was interested. I looked online for some reviews and found some positive reviews from the Ninja 500 forum and the Suzuki GS sites. The sportbike forums returned the knee jerk, 'THEY SUCK DOOD!!! YOU HAVE TO HAVE BRAND X TIRE OR YOU'LL CRASH, BURN and DIE!!!'

Interestingly, those posts and threads were from several years ago, probably when Shinko first came out, so that's understandable.

The deciding factor for me was in another thread, one of the people that actually bought them and used the tires posted in another thread a couple of years later and reported he got 7k miles out of the tires.

And when I thought about it, I decided to go for it. The way I look at it, the people that ride Ninja 500s and Suzuki GS 500's are not riding for show and probably can look past the name and give an honest opinion.

So, I called and ordered a set of Shinkos. Funny thing is, they are listed as cruiser tires..... So, what makes a cruiser tire, anyway? I don't know and they are rated for a higher speed than my Bandit will go (and far faster than I'm going to go) so I imagine they will be fine.

Oh, how much? $115.98. Total.

And have some Dinosaur Jr.

3 comments:

Glynn.Duchesney said...

IF memory serves, "cruiser" tires are not quite as soft and "sticky" as a sport tire. Usually harder compound to allow for the extra weight of a cruiser. Plus the harder compound can allow for longer tread life. This is all from things I have heard from time to time so dont take my statement as gospel. Just remember to take it easy for a few hundred miles on the new tires. They will be very slick from the mold release. I have been told to overinflate just a few pounds past normal pressure to help the mold release come off. Something about a better contact area, but not sure about that. Either way, stay safe on the new treads.

irondad said...

I went window shopping once but didn't find one that would fit my house.

Man, I get busy and don't read blogs for a while. Then I come back and find you've been very prolific lately.

Wouldn't mind hearing more about the place you took the kids to. What was it called? What a Burger?

Scott said...

Oh please tell me you're kidding! There are no What A Burgers up there? You are truly missing out :)