Friday, June 8, 2007

Today's Scooter Stuff...

Well, I stopped by All About Scooters, the local Tallahassee Scooter shop, and picked up an armored jacket. I felt dorky buying it but it is the smart thing to do, even if it makes feel like Evel Kenevel. But the fact is, if I do go down, I want to be as safe as possible. I have a family to think about, so armored jacket and full face helmet it is. It is kind of cool, though....

I'm meeting some local Scooterists tomorrow for lunch, so I wanted to get a bit more practice in this evening. I decided to take a trip close to the Tallahassee Mall and get on Tharpe Street (a four lane raceway...err, street) on the way back.

I rolled the Paiggio out of the garage and let it warm up a bit and headed out. This scooter is nice, plenty of power and very comfortable so far. I took the back roads heading out and on the way back, I pulled out onto Tharpe and went. I didn't have nearly as much of the panic (OH MY GOD THERE ARE CARS WHIZZING BY MY HEAD!!!) that I had on my first ride home from the shop a week ago. I wouldn't say I was completely calm, but I was ok. I even took the huge hill near the turn to my neighborhood, which is at the top of the hill. It had been a little intimidating, especially since this is where Tharpe goes from four lane to two lane. So, with me? Busy street, four lane into two lanes, big monstrous hill and the turn off into my neighborhood at the top....

I made it fine. No big deal at all. It seems as if I am worrying a bit too much, which is ok. I certainly don't want to be like some of the drivers you see out there.

Anyway, check back tomorrow for some good pictures of some local Scooters and thier owners. Also, click on the Tallahassee Scooter Forum and sign up and say 'Hi!'.

1 comment:

Combatscoot said...

I am proud of you for taking safety into consideration. I wouldn't worry about dorkiness, as I've found that women and children really dig armoured motorcycle gear. I've also found that after a bit of usage, my "uniform" feels so familiar that I feel naked riding without it. The confidence with traffic situations will come with more riding and practice. Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow,
John