Tuesday, June 5, 2007

No riding today....

Ok, we haven't had any measurable rain in months and now it's rained three days in a row? And it was pouring by 8am this morning? Strange weather, to be sure.

I was busy all day with work and appointments and kids and the Tallahassee Museum so no riding today. But that's ok, really. It is. I'll just go check on the scooter in the garage in a minute.

I'm still trying to figure out when and how I started looking at scooters. I'm also trying to figure out what drove me to stop by and test drive one. I've always liked 'cool' vehicles; I was a VW man for many years in college. My best car I ever owned was a 73 Super Beetle that I bought for $400. It wasn't the prettiest thing, but the interior was in good shape, it didn't have much rust at all and it ran forever. I drove it for three years for Domino's Pizza, rain or shine, day or night, summer or winter and it did fine. I also had a couple of vans, a '67 and a '70 Camper that had the ultra rare tent that hooked onto the opening when you opened the sliding door. But that's a story for another time....

I think it all comes down to the fact that I like neat cars and vehicles. I'm not neccesarily into muscle cars or big loud motorcycles, but I can appreciate them. So, when I somehow started looking at scooters, it wasn't anything new.

At first I was thinking about getting one so I could go http://geocaching.com geocaching and not feel bad about taking the van alone solely to go hunt tupperware. Then I got to thinking about how around 80% of the time, I'm driving the van by myself. Sure, the MPV gets decent mileage, but still... Then gas went over three dollars a gallon..... Then, I found the excellent deal on the Piaggio....

And the rest is history. So far.

So what do I want to do with the scooter? Well, I want to get comfortable enough that I don't feel nervous about driving it anywhere in town, or on small trips. It's not big enough for I-10, though, but that's ok. I didn't want a maxi-scooter.

I want to eventually use the scooter for most of my driving, if possible. Of course, lots of times I am going to get the kids, or have the kids with me, so it will be van time, and that's ok.

Of course, I can make all the sensible reasoning for why I bought a scooter but if I'm honest with myself, it's simply because they are so fun to ride. I'm glad I bought a full face helmet for riding. That way noone can see me grinning like a complete fool puttering down the street.

No comments: