Saturday, June 9, 2007

Today's lunch and ride.

John over at Combat Scoot had called and invited me to lunch today. He even suggested a Mexican Restaurant, so I blocked off a large portion of Saturday for that. We were going to meet at El Jalisco, on North Monroe.

The easiest way for me to get there was straight down Tharpe Street onto Monroe, so that's the way I went. This was my first long ride in my new armored jacket and it was fine, not nearly as hot as you'd think.

I got there with no trouble and enjoyed the ride on Tharpe, so I'm getting used to riding the scooter on roads with traffic. I sat outside on the covered patio and a few minutes later, two very nice looking scooters pulled up. The whole Combat Scooter family showed up.

Lunch was great and besides scooters, we had quite a bit on common; we had all lived in Alaska for some time, we both had three year old sons and we all liked good music. After a nice long lunch and nice conversation, they decided to head home and I decided to ride a bit.

I didn't want to drive around my neighborhood so I tried to think of a destination that would make a nice ride. AHA! I'll head over to All About Scooters and ummmmmm....... buy something......yeah, some scooter cleaner! Yeah, that's why I need to ride over there! So, I headed out the back way and rode down MLK Boulevard all the way across Tennessee, then took a left and crossed over Monroe, heading to Park Avenue. That took me across Magnolia and after a turn onto Victory Garden, right to the shop. It was a nice ride and the jacket really is nice, nothing too bad yet. Hopefully, higher temps won't make that much of a difference.

After a nice visit with the owners, I bought some cleaner and headed back home. Instead of backtracking, I took a right on Calhoun and then took Tennessee to Monroe and drove down Monroe (quite calmly, if I do say so myself) to Tharpe, then home.

I'm very happy with the Piaggio, one of these days I'll find out what speed I'm cruising at but it hits 80 KMH easily. Hopefully I'll be able to take a drive tomorrow with the camera, forgot it today.

1 comment:

Combatscoot said...

Scott,
Very much enjoyed the lunch with you. Look forward to getting together with you again. We saw you on our way out, zipping down MLK. You have a very cool little Italian scoot. We will have to come-up with a scooter club and have monthly meets. Who knows the amount of scooterists that will show-up once it's established. Take care, will be talking to you again soon.
John