Sunday, June 10, 2007

Today's Ride (Geocaching!)

Got a bit of time today for a quick ride and decided to go geocaching. There was a new geocache nearby, so I rode over. I'm getting used to being on the road with cars close to me so that's good.

I pulled into the parking area for the 'cache and a van pulled up. I quickly noticed the driver was holding a GPS receiver, so it was a geocacher! We talked a bit and went and found the cache. The cool thing about geocaching is the locations it takes you to. This spot was a mile or so away from my home, encircled by a shopping center, apartment complex and a gas station but the area was so secluded and peaceful. The cache led you to an area where there was a lichgate ( http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lichgate ) and there was also an oak tree as large as any I have ever seen. It was immense. I've driven by that spot for over 30 years and never knew it was there. Geocaching is a lot of fun.

Anyway, back to riding. I left the cache and stopped at the nearby gas station for a fill up. I put $3 in the tank. I didn't fill it up because I didn't want to spill gas out of the opening. So I have 3/4 of a tank. More than enough.

As I pulled back onto Tharpe Street, a truck passed me, complete with several geocaching stickers. I know these guys! I kept up with them (and on Tharpe Street, that's saying something!) and at the next light, pulled up next to them.

Ron, of TeamHarrison geocaching fame was driving and I got his attention. I'm sure he had no idea why some idiot wearing a jacket and full face helmet on a scooter was trying to get his attention but he soon realized who I was and we spoke for a bit until the light turned green. He turned off and I kept straight. I ended up on Thomasville Road and rode south to the What-A-Burger, where I went in for a diet coke.

It was hot and the drink hit the spot. Riding in this heat was interesting. In motion, it was fine, the double mesh of the jacket is good for air flow, so it isn't that bad and at styop lights you aren't stopped long enough to really get too hot. What was strange was the actual waves of heat on my legs as I drove. It wasn't painful or anything, it just felt as if a blanket of heat was rolling over my legs. It got pretty hot today, I wonder if it will get worse here...

No comments: