Sunday, August 5, 2007

No new tale to tell...

And no new scooter, either. At this point, I'm contacting paypal tomorrow to get my deposit back and then I'll see what I can get. I'm bummed, I want a Helix.

But, I have some options. I can maybe get a Burgman, Majesty or Morphous. Add a People 250 into this list. It all depends if I want to stretch things. After looking at these scoots, I have pictures of me tearing down the interstate, but in all actuality, I really don't have any need (or desire) to get on I-10, do I? But, I also thought 55 MPH would be fast enough for me, and it quickly became evident it isn't. These scooters will definitely get me on the Interstate and keep me there but do I really need that much scooter?

The other option is this 250cc scooter or this one. Yes, they are Chinese scoots, but Bandit Motorsports has an excellent reputation and they have good quality. I have exchanged many emails with Jim, the owner of Bandit and trust that he sells decent products for the price.

So, for half of what I may be able to get a Morphous, Majesty, etc for, I could get a reliable, decently performing scooter with a full warranty. I'm going to give him a call tomorrow and see if his scoots will cruise at 70 or 75mph. If they do, I think I'll grab one of those.

I'm really thinking a closely comparable scooter for half the price is the way to go. Advice, anyone?

5 comments:

Timothy Bath said...

The LX250z would defiantly give you your Helix fix... I'm partial to the style/storage of the UC250.

When I shopped for a scooter I factored in 1) my larger than most size (weight), 2) my families safety concerns and 3) my tendency to go big with my hobbies. In answers to these... 1) I felt I would need a larger cc to deal with my larger self. 2) The larger scooter has been an easier sell to family members. They see it as safer, a bigger target. 3) I knew going in that I would like ridding. The idea of longer rides and possible 2 up riding appealed to me.

To each their own. The great thing about scooters is that there is a scooter out there for everyone's needs and likes.

What I would say to you regarding your pending purchase:

You are tall. A larger scooter may fit you better.

You have family members who may wish to ride with you. A larger scooter may fit you (and them) better.

You do in-depth research regarding the different scooter makes/models/manufactures. You look at both dealer and owners responses regarding scooters. With this ability and attitude you should be able to make a Chinese scooter work for you.

I will caution you... 1) Larger scooters get lesser miles to the gallon. 2) A larger scooter will increase your desire to go on longer rides.

Timothy Bath said...

A picture I found of a recently purchased Bandit UC-250z.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/flashback_photos/scoot-250.jpg

Scott said...

That silver color looks really nice, I wish they had it in yellow.

I think it would be smart to get a Bandit UC, I think it will do everything I'll ever want to do.

By the way, how often do you go over 65 MPH?

Pen Ultimate said...

What happened with the eBay Helix?
.

Combatscoot said...

One thing I have always considered in this area is the average road speed. If you were to never leave Tallahassee, that 150 would be okay. However, Tallahassee just isn't a big enough city. Average road speeds outside Tallahassee are between 60 and 65 MPH. My wife's 'Beo 150 just barely is acceptable, with a top-speed of 70 and a good cruising speed around 60. Most 150's can't do that. I think minimum cc's here to be comfortable is 250, whether you plan on freeway excursions or not.
John