Saturday, August 11, 2007

Papa's got a brand new bag...

Well, I was definitely going to buy a Bandit. But, our local shop was getting in a brand new TNG 250cc scooter. I stopped by Friday to see if it was in, and it was. It wasn't quite ready to test so I decided to return later in the day and test drive it.

When I got back, it was ready to ride. It looks really nice, shiny red in color, comfortable seat, very light feeling. It cranked right up and was really quiet. I headed out the back way, towards Park Ave. The acceleration on this scooter is very nice, on par with the higher priced scooters, in my opinion.

However, at indicated 60-65 mph, I didn't feel too secure on it. I think I'm used to larger wheels since my Piaggio has 16 inch wheels up front. The scooter did drive well and I think it is a great alternative to higher priced scooters.

So, now, I was really worried. What if the smaller wheels and lighter weight of the Bandit caused the same concern? Would I get used to the feel of the scooter at 60-65 mph?

I didn't know. It didn't help that the store was full of Kymco's. I finally got a chance to test drive the Xciting 250 and it was amazing. Fast, stable and fun. Wow, so there is a difference in scooters.

Now, I'm the first one to say that I like middle of the road items because I really think that usually there isn't enough of a difference between the slightly above average and the top of the line to warrant such a big price difference. To be honest, I am quite sure that TNG 250 is a good quality scooter with a great price. But it didn't work for me.

Well, to make this post a little shorter, after trying the free financing for 30 days (you write four post dated checks....but apparently, I don't write $900 checks frequently enough for that finance company to accept my checks) I wrote one big huge check and rode home on my band new (2 miles!!!) People 250!!

Pictures to come, I'm going to go ride!

And someone better meet me tomorrow morning for a nice ride!

3 comments:

Robert said...

Congrats on the new scoot. I think your gonna be very happy with the larger size letting you venture out further at higher speeds... Just purchased the wife a used 2002 honda reflex so now she will be riding with me again instead of 2up. and the 250 she can ride anywhere my 650 will go for a whole lot less

Pen Ultimate said...

Awesome! Most folx agree that the People is a better choice for most over the Xciting -- it's lighter, and more easy to maneuver.

Be sure to hit the Yahoo! Kymco link at my place -- there's a bunch of P250 and PS250 owners over there that can give you the skinny on maintenance and things to watch for.

I never did hear with happened with the eBay Helix...
.

Pen Ultimate said...

(waits patiently to hear about the Helix that got away, the status of the Piaggio, photos of the P250...)

:lol:
.