Sunday, August 26, 2007

Ridin' with Mr. and Mrs. Harley.

Tim and his wife and I had a nice ride yesterday out Meridian Road, into Georiga and then over to Thomasville Road back to Tallahassee. It was the first time I had the Kymco out of town and I was itching to see how it would do at 60 or 65 mph.

Short answer? WOW. Seriously, this scooter is awesome, very powerful and smooth. Compared to the Piaggio, you have to countersteer, and I sometimes think too much about it and scare myself, then quickly countersteer and head right through the corner. I've been working on the corners and some roads in town, like the new Blairstone extension and Shamrock Circle are really nice. Lots of long sweeping curves where you lean over forever and slide right around.

I did a search a few nights ago and found a motorcycle group based here in Tallahassee, named No Club. Seems they are all about the ride, without the drama or brand envy/bias you might sometimes encounter. Not to say anything about motorcycle riders, you run into that brand bias in anything. Anyway, on a lark, I joined their group and sent the head guy a short email saying I'd be interested in riding with them but I am on a scooter, a 250cc scooter, but a scooter, nonetheless. I got an email back and he said we (meaning anyone of us that wants to ride with them) are more than welcome to join. Seems they really are all about the ride.

So, I plan on meeting up with them sometime, seems like a good group.

This afternoon, I rode over to Hobbit Hoagies in Killearn to meet the fmaily for lunch. Afterwards, I was heading home and saw two beautiful Harleys ride by, just as I was suiting up to leave the Hobbit. I decided to see if I could catch them and I couldn't due to the two cars between me and the Harley's. However, finally, at the light at Killearney and Thomasville, I pulled up next to them. I was going to turn left and they were going straight across Thomasville Road. Hmmm, I pulled over and got in behind them.

Those two bikes were really spotless. They also weren't so loud your ears almost began to bleed but they did sound good, nice low rumble. The light turned green and we headed across Thomasville onto Maclay Road.

The People followed them quite nicely and it was pretty funny. I'm sure to the casual observer, I fell in quite nicely with the Harleys, but with a little less chrome and a lot less rumble.

Anyway, at Meridian, they were going right and I was taking a left to go home. I pulled up beside them and one of the riders was grinning at me. I complimented their awesome rides and the light turned green so we headed in our seperate directions.

Hmmm.......how much do Harley's cost? :)

2 comments:

Robert said...

Hey Scott cked out the no club group and sounds like a nice group to ride with sometimes so joined there yhoo group also so mabe we can get the group together sometime and ride with them

Scott said...

Sounds good to me!