Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I've gotten into a bad habit on the People....

Since it has a wind screen, and since my face shield is scratched from when it dropped off the seat, I have sort of stopped wearing the face shield down. The shield deflects wind and bugs (mostly) over my head.

However, on the trip to Lake Seminole (which was a lot closer than I thought) out of the approximately 8 million love bugs that either splattered on the windshield or were deflected over my head, a few did splat right on my helmet.

Thsnkfully, I realized that riding out of town meant that the chance of bugs hitting me in the face was a lot higher, so I had the shield down. Some of the bugs were quite juicy, for lack of a better word, which was sort of nasty.

I dont think I'd ever enjoy the bugs in the teeth part of being a rebel biker.

6 comments:

Scooterlizard said...

Scott,
If you still like to ride with your visor up, get yourself a pair of saftey glasses to wear under your helmet. If something pops over your winshield the safety glass will keep you from getting a biker's black eye. Hard shell beetles can do some serious damage.
As for pretty rides do 267 down to Wakulla springs or work your way down to St. Marks. Another is take Meridian Rd. to the state line, when you hit the state just stay on that road until you come to a cross road, keep going straight you will run into US 319.
Ride safe, keep on scootin'.

Scott said...

Hey! Neat seeing you here, I have thought of those glasses but ordered a new shaded visor for my helmet so Im good.

I have done Meridia road, to Cairo and also circling over to 39. Very nice road. My buddy Glynn and I also wandered over to the Lighthouse at St. Marks, but down Woodville Highway from Tallahasse.

Maybe next ride we will wander around 267, its also nice up in Gadsden Cty.

Scooterlizard said...

I do pop in from time to time, another nice ride is St.Rd.12 from Bristol to Havana. Or go the other way 65 back to Carrabelle, do that one on the weekends because of the log trucks and you have a full tank of gas as well.

here something that might help with your scratches on the visors in the future, walmart has product(can't think of the name) made for plastic to take scratches in the automotive section. It will help get the ones of the winshield as well. It's made for plexiglass and lexan. Visors on brain buckets are not cheap. Just a clear one on mine is $20.

Pen Ultimate said...

Not sure what kind of helmet you have, Scott, but if it's a 3/4, I got a clear, 5-snap face shield at the local Yamaha dealer for $8.
.

irondad said...

At first I thought you wrote that the juicy bugs were "tasty". Then I realized it was really "nasty". That re-assured me of your sanity, again.

If I ride with my shield up I always get it between the forehead and my nose, for some reason. Most hit my sunglasses. So I either can't see or my face stings.

P.S. If you want to see the biggest, greenest, and juiciest bugs in the USA, ride by Klamath Lake in South Central Oregon. It's like hitting boneless little green tree frogs for miles! Yuck.

Scott said...

No, not into eating bugs, but it was suprising how much of a splt a love bug makes....

And I guess thats enough talk about bug guts splattering for today :)