Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Today's Tom Sawyer....



Ok, I'm not a huge Rush fan but I do like a lot of their songs and 'Tom Sawyer' was played nonstop by my (older and way cool) brothers back then and of course, you still hear it today.

I had read somewhere that Neal Peart, Rush drummer (and one of the best in the world, according to the best in the world experts...) also rode motorcycles and had written some motorcycle touring books. Having enjoyed 'The Long Way Round', I asked for the book for Christmas. And my family got it for me.


So, right before Christmas, I started a new job. It's great and has really made a huge difference in our home. And there is a nice break room so it made it a low easier to take my lunch and a book to work and have an hour to read. 'Ghost Rider' became that book the first day back at work after Christmas.

It's a good book but not as motorcycle focused as I had hoped. But, Peart has done a pretty neat job of describing the locations he visited, both physical and mental. Very good book. What's really strange is that as I read it, I realized my Mom, of all people, would get more out the book than I did. She's had a tough time the last few years, losing her brother and sister only a couple of years apart.

Weird that I'd want her to read a book about some rock star on a bike, huh? Anyway, take a look at the book, if you're into 'bike books'.

The problem is lately I've had the song 'Tom Sawyer' in my head for about the past month. Not the whole song, just the part where Alex Lifeson has his guitar solo, then Peart absolutely destroys his drum kit.... You know the part, right?

Anyway, I guess I could have a worse song running through my head but after five weeks of that song, I need a new song!

No comments: