Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ok, decision made!



First off, no, I did not buy that bike.

That Ninja belongs to a local guy who also frequents the
Ninja 250 Rider Forums . He had made a post detailing the new pegs he had put on his Ninja. He also has handlebar risers and a beaded seat pad so I was curious as to how much of a difference it made in comfort. I had set on several Ninjas and thought I'd be ok on them but after sitting on a Versys, I was quickly aware of the difference in comfort levels between the two bikes.

However, a $1000 Ninja versus a $7000 (or more) Versys is a big difference.

So, I sent the Owner a PM asking if it was possible to meet up and let me sit on his bike and see how it felt. He agreed and even told me I could ride it.

So I did. Three times. And every time I am sure I had a big goofy grin on my face. I didn't take it on any open roads, keeping it to a parking lot at the local Vo-Tech school (where they also administer the MSF class...) but it was an absolute blast.

The handlebar risers made a huge difference between this Ninja and other Ninjas I have sat on. There was no pressure on my wrists at all. The lower pegs and seat pad made a difference, too, I'm sure but the first thing I'll do when I buy a Ninja is install some risers.

So, riding the bike? Well, in the past I have said I don't get people that say 'Oh, I outgrew the power of the Ninja 250' or 'Well, whwen you are going 80, you need to have more power to get out of the way' and other goofy things. I didn't ride the Ninja very far or very fast but I am sure it has plenty of power and plenty of speed for me.

The highest rpms I hit was 7500, highest gear was second and I was at an indicated 35-40. So, I was no where close to redlining the bike, nowhere near highway gears and was doing 40mph. Nice.....

All I know is when I do buy a Ninja (soon! Final inspections THIS WEEK!!!), I will wear a full face helmet to hide the goofy grin from the Seller. That way I might be able to barter on the price a little :)

1 comment:

irondad said...

It's a lot more fun to ride a small bike to its limits than barely tap the limits of a big bike. That is, if one's ego can stand it. Sounds like yours is in the right proportions.